There are a number of visas available to Parents of Australian Citizens, permanent residents or eligible New Zealand Citizen’s.
These visas fall into 2 broad groups:
1. The Parent Visa Classes and the
2. Contributory Parent Classes.
Applicants for the contributory parent visa classes are required to make a higher contribution towards their future health costs.
There are 3 times the number of visa places available each year in the contributory parent visa classes and therefore, these visa’s are processed a lot quicker than other parent visa classes.
Generally, the basic requirements are as follows:
You must be a parent of a child who is an Australian Citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
• Your child must be settled in Australia and must sponsor you.
• You must pass the balance of family test
• You must meet health and character requirements
Parents can apply for permanent migration to Australia under:
• Contributory Parent
• Contributory Aged Parent
• Aged Parent
An assurance of support will also be required for the permanent visa options.
Parents can also apply under temporary classes:
1. Contributory Parent (Temporary)
2. Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary)